Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Will Bring Praise

I'm a phone screener.  I'm not proud of it, but I am.  I really hate talking on the phone and would much prefer an in person chat or a text if it's something that can be said quickly.

So, when I started getting phone calls from an unrecognizable Utah number, I decided to google it.  Turns out the number belonged to a company I used to work for when I was in college.  We would call people all over the United States to survey them about various things.  Yes, I suppose I was a telemarketer of sorts...only I never sold anything - just took surveys.  I got hung up on a lot as you can imagine.

So when the number popped up on my screen again the other night, I decided to see what this was about.  It was a nice girl (probably a college student like I was many years ago) who was doing a survey on behalf of JD Power and Associates for Carolinas Medical Center in Pineville, which is where I delivered Beckett.  We were just about to sit down for dinner, and I had been sitting in the Orlando airport much of the day - I was tired.  But, I also remembered how hard it had been to get people to take these surveys AND I remembered how great my experience was at CMC-Pineville.

I took the so called "quick" survey, which of course was nothing but.  Todd motioned at me several times to come eat before the food got cold.  But still I persevered.  And when I was done, I told him theatrically, "You know, not enough people bother to take the time to praise companies when they do a job well done.  Everyone is quick to moan and complain, but when people do a fantastic job how many of us really show our gratitude?"  I felt proud of myself for taking SO MUCH TIME to praise the hospital, my midwives, the nurses on staff, the accomodations, the food (ok, not the food so much)...

And then later I got thinking - how often do I spend that much time praising God?

I easily spent 20 minutes on the phone that night with a complete stranger praising nurses that I will probably never see again.  Don't get me wrong, they deserved every bit of praise I gave.  But do I take 20 minutes out of my night to praise and thank God?

Driving to the airport that morning I had spent plenty of time talking to God.  I asked Him for smooth travel, for protection - I asked that He keep Beckett from screaming and crying.  I asked that He keep Beckett from having a huge poop explosion while we were cruising at 30 thousand feet.  I thanked Him for safe travels thus far.  I thanked Him that we had the means to take a trip to Orlando and spend 4 days there with friends...but it was no 20 minute praise session.

This was a little sobering to me - but motivating as well.  It can be hard to remember the praise when life is staring you down and around every corner is a hill or a mountain to climb - but I am so blessed and have so much to be grateful for.

Today, I praise God for a beautiful family, for healthy children, for my husband who works so hard to provide for us.  I praise Him for our incredible church who knows what it means to be the body of Christ here in Charlotte and throughout the world.  My blessings are many and my heart is full.

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I receive I will sow

                               -Desert Song, Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment