Sunday, May 24, 2015

What I Eat in a Day

Got a lot of positive feedback the first time I posted this so here goes #2!

This is actually from a couple of weeks ago (oops)...maybe even over a month. I'm pretty sure the next time I do this, you may see some Chick Fil A in there because I gotta be honest - it's getting to be a little more common than I would like when I'm so exhausted I want to cry. I'm not proud but survival is survival and this is real life, right??

Here's where I'm going to wax all poetic on you before some crappy iPhone food pictures, ok? Most of you know that I just finished up getting some health coaching certifications. My focus will mostly be on families with children and pregnant/new mamas.

I've been learning about nutrition since Beckett was born 4 years ago. It is an overwhelming, never ending, very confusing field of study and everyone has a different opinion on what you should and shouldn't eat. I've tried every way of eating out there (vegetarian, vegan, paleo, clean eating, etc...) I have come to believe there is no one size fits all way of eating that works for everyone. And I am here to tell you that I KNOW the crap in fast food and with everything going on in my life right now, we visit the CFA drive thru sometimes.

Being pregnant and exhausted and taking care of littles alone and knowing what I know - even I sometimes need a break. I can't always spend a couple of hours prepping food in the kitchen for the week. And I can't stand here and pretend that it's 'so easy' to do that and act as though I never take the easy way out at times. Life gets in the way occasionally - and my rambly point here is: don't let that stuff derail you from learning about nutrition and educating yourself.

I really hate when I hear people proclaim that eating well is so cheap and so easy because I am here to tell you - it is not. It isn't. There is crap all around us, it's hiding in food and written in labels in intentionally deceptive ways. It is NOT easy to sift through it all if you don't understand the basics. It IS more expensive to eat well, unless you have the ability to be some kind of super human mama who can coupon her way through life and visit 5 different grocery stores to find the best deals.

It DOES take more time to eat well. Not always, but when I am on track I spend time planning meals, shopping well, prepping for the week, etc. I don't know about you, but there are many days I need something I can grab quickly. In order to do that in a healthy way, I have to plan ahead and it takes time and thought. And I don't always do it.

So that's my confessional. I say it because I think a lot of people think that if they aren't perfect, they shouldn't bother. I am in no way saying I approve of Chick Fil A as a healthy option (ha - I KNOW it isn't, even if it feels like it is better than other places...) I'm just saying that I get it. I get that sometimes perfection is nowhere close to attainable.

I've thought a lot about what I want to do with my certifications and I really hope that I can convince people perfection is not the goal. Being a size 2 is not the goal. Having a perfect body is not the goal. It might be for some, but for the vast majority of us it won't be. Education, making small, gradual changes and trying again tomorrow are the things I hope I can convince people to do. When you fuel your body well, you will be amazed at how different you feel. I know people who have gotten rid of what they thought were seasonal allergies with changing their diet. I know people who have alleviated many of the symptoms of fibromyalgia or reversed PCOS through their diet. It can be a powerful tool for your life.

Ok...off my soapbox. Ahem. 

Breakfast:
I have a small addiction to this Crunchy Flax cereal from Enjoy Life. It is free of the 8 most common allergens (wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish, shellfish and it doesn't have casein, potato, sesame or sulfites) I eat this with sliced fresh fruit, a tablespoon or two of hemp seeds and cashew milk. It's so good. Hemp seeds are a great source of omega's and easily digestible plant based protein. You can get 13g of protein in 3 tblsp of seeds! I'm not a vegan but if you struggle with eating meat, this is a fantastic addition to your diet.



Lunch: 
Ok, I admit this is kind of a weird concoction but it was easy and good. I just made some sirloin burgers, a baked sweet potato and some steamed zucchini and summer squash. I make 4-5 burgers and keep them in the fridge for easy lunches/dinners for me and the kids. 



Dinner:
Dinner out with a friend! This is a terrible picture - but you get the idea. Love how my dinner was basically another version of my lunch? Ha! We went to 131 Main and I just can't resist the veggie burger. It has havarti cheese, a super yummy glaze and a quinoa salad that'll make you want to slap your grandma. (I am pretty sure it's a crime to use that Southern phrase in the same sentence as quinoa salad)



Dessert: 
Ahhhhh Talenti. You are so bad for me, but so delicious. At least I can pronounce all the ingredients?? I am totally blaming the baby...


Happy Eating! 
For $10 off your first Vitacost order click here: http://goo.gl/01RwrF

No comments:

Post a Comment